• Gary Bare (“Bare”), who works in our box shop in North Wilkesboro, recently lost his home to fire the week of December 29th. No one was injured, but he and his family lost everything. Both the plant and offices have taken collections to cover short term needs for his family. If you would like to see how you can help, please contact Karen Holsclaw.
• A big "Thank You" to Adrian Ramirez for identifying an incorrect barcode label that was printed on cartons used for our biggest single account - Lowe’s – while he was packing the product. Thanks to his attention to detail, we were able to catch the error before it went out into the field.
To Your Health
Gardner Glass Health Assessments forms have been completed and mailed. Results are expected the week of February 12th. (Right before that tempting box of chocolates at Valentine's!) Your participation is appreciated. Health Fair to be provide late March/early April. Stay tuned for details.
HELPFUL LINKS TO KNOW:
Check out this website for insights designed to nurture all aspects of healthy living:
401K Information: GREAT WEST
HEALTH INSURANCE INFO: BLUE CROSS BLUE SHEILD NC
WINTER DRIVING TIPS
Reflections newsletter is published every month by the Pluminators Gemba Squad.
February 27th, 2009
Past Newsletter Archive:
Important New Options for Employee's Pay
In order to prevent the possibility of delays in delivery of pay to all employees, Gardner Glass Products is introducing the TotalPay Money Network program. This program allows every employee to participate. There is no application and no approval process. The program allows employees to receive their pay electronically on payday morning wherever they may be. For those who wish to continue using paper checks, a check option is provided in the TotalPay Money Network program.
The TotalPay paycard allows employees to withdraw money from ATM’s and make purchases at stores. This debit card is PIN protected so your money will be protected. The TotalPay Money Network program also offers checks and the ability to transfer money from the card to a bank account. There will be meetings in using the TotalPay Money Network program by the second week in February. Any questions you have about the program will be answered then.
Gardner Glass will continue to offer direct deposit for those who want their pay deposited directly to their personal bank account. Direct deposit enrollments will be accepted through February 10th. All other employees will use the TotalPay Money Network program – either the TotalPay paycard or Money Network Check. Paychecks will no longer be distributed through the Personnel office and Supervisors as of Friday February 28th.
We recognize that any change in how you receive your pay is very important. By offering these three options – direct deposit, a Money Network Check or the TotalPay paycard, we want to give you the choice that works best for you. Please recognize that this change is being made to allow us to ensure that everyone is paid on time and with the lease amount of travel possible.
Our Wilkesboro plant and office is 98 % direct deposit.
For more information or any questions, contact Harvey Harbour at email@example.com
Has Heart Month got you thinking about taking better care of your heart? Changing how you eat can make a big difference. If your goal is to reduce how much fat you take in, here are a few tips to make it easier and more delicious!
Know how much fat is in what you’re eating. It sounds simple, but you may be surprised when you start reading labels.
* A bakery muffin can have as many as 20 grams of fat and a total of 400 calories! Replace it with a 6-ounce serving of fat-free fruit yogurt, and you’ll consume just 110 calories and no fat. You’ll be starting the day with 300 fewer calories!
* If your afternoon pick-me-up is a plain milk chocolate bar (no nuts, no caramel), you’ll be consuming 270 calories and 16 grams of fat. Compare that to a 2½” apple with just 55 calories—and it’s more nutritious, too!
* When it comes to meals, a 6-ounce skinless chicken breast (187 calories and just 2 grams of fat) saves you more 1/3 of the calories in a 6-ounce steak (320 calories and 11 grams of fat).
Once you start reading labels and seeing the difference in fat and calorie counts of the foods you eat, it will be easier to make lower-fat choices your “usual.” You’ll probably be surprised to find how many leaner foods are available.
TIP: You don’t have to buy a calorie counter. If you search the Internet for “fat content of food” you’ll even find sites that list fat and calorie content for restaurants. After a short time, you’ll learn how much fat is in the foods you enjoy.
For more information on easy and healthy eating habits: CLICK HERE
GGP Lean Goes Nationwide
Lean manufacturing has progressively evolved into a mainstream methodology that is no stranger to the manufacturing industry with as much as 36% of manufacturers now implementing lean principles as their main improvement tool. After adopting “LEAN”,Gardner Glass Products has put in place this concept of lean manufacturing in several facilities.
Recently in Indianapolis, IN, Vick Channel, Bruce Ator, and Paul Wallace completed several lean projects to the grounds as well as the offices and warehouse areas. Fresh concrete now fills the huge “pot hole” that once was directly in front of warehouse #1.
At the Huntsville, TX facility, Kim Theodorsen and Rosalino Yanex have been busy continuing the “6” “S” improvements through-out the office, manufacturing, and warehouse areas, as well as co-ordinating an extensive interior painting project. New signage has enhanced the visuals at the entrance leading up to the facility as well as through-out the grounds.
LOVE ENDURES ALL
About the parents of John Myers - Executive Vice President of Dreamwalls Sales Group
By Monte Mitchell
WILKESBORO - After Chuck Myers stumbled and broke his neck, doctors told him that they couldn't believe that he wasn't paralyzed.
Do You Have Something To Share with REFLECTIONS?